Managing the database
To manage the database, double-click on the KeyPass icon in the
system tray. Alternatively, select tray menu.
The left-most pane (highlighted in red) is the database pane.
where you see a hierarchical listing of all the folders and entries
you have created.
The KeyPass database is organized as folders and entries.
Folders allow you to group related entries together. Each entry
stores important information for a particular application or web
- Title. This is a descriptive name that identifies the
application or web site.
- Web address. This is the URL of the web site, if
- Fields. These are values specific to the application or
web site. Each field has a descriptive name (eg. "Password"), and a
value (the actual password itself). You can define any number of
fields for an entry. See Using fields for
- Login script. This defines a sequence of steps to login
to the application or web site. Each step could be a field value
(eg. Enter "Password"), or a keystroke (eg. Press
[Enter]). See Using the login script
for additional information.
- Notes. This allows you to enter short notes related to
the application or web site.
- Properties. This tab contains a number of settings
specific to the entry. For more information on what these settings
mean, see Entry properties.
- Files. You can attach one or more files to a particular
folder or entry. For more information on how to do so, see Attaching files.
- Associations. You can view existing associations for a
particular entry, or remove unwanted ones. See Associations for additional
There are a few basic tasks related to database management:
- Create a new folder. Select the parent folder, then
select from the main
menu, or select from the
context menu. A new folder will be created with the default name
"New Folder", which you can rename to something descriptive.
- Create a new entry. Select the parent folder, then
select from the main menu,
or select from the context
menu. A new entry will be created with the default name "New
Entry", which you can rename to something descriptive.
Another way to add a new entry is to drag-and-drop a
hyperlink from a web browser to the database pane.
By default, each new entry is created with two default fields
"Username" and "Password", and a default login script "[Select
All], Username, [Tab], [Select All], Password, [Enter]", which
works for most applications or web sites. You may change the
default login script by using the Using the
function in the context menu of the login script
pane. For more information, see
- Rename an existing folder or entry. Select the target
folder or entry, then make a single click on the target item, or
select from the context menu.
- Reorder folders or entries. Use drag-and-drop to reorder
folders and entries in the database pane.
- Delete an existing a folder or entry. Select the target
folder or entry, then press the [Del] key, or select from the context menu.
You can save all updates to the database by using the
, or function from the main menu. The
latter automatically hides the KeyPass window as well.
The status bar displays short help text related to the current
pane where the mouse cursor points. This can be toggled with a
single mouse click to display the full path to the current database