Simple setup guide
Below is a step-by-step guide to setting up KeyPass Enterprise
Edition on two machines: ADMIN and USER.
- First ensure there is a shared folder that is accessible on
both machines. On an enterprise network, an administrator may need
to create the shared folder and assign the necessary permissions.
In a small office network, this may involve sharing out a folder
using "Simple File Sharing". No matter which mechanism is involved,
we will assume from this point on that there is a shared folder
called \\SERVER\KEYPASS where the reference database will
- Install and run KeyPass on the machine ADMIN. Initialize the
master database by entering a password.
- Under Preferences/Security, in
the "Read-only passwords" box, click on the "Add" button. This will
bring up a dialog box. Enter something meaningful for "Description"
for your own reference, and enter a password that will be used for
read-only access to the master database. Click "Change" to effect
- Under Preferences/Sycnhronization,
enter \\SERVER\KEYPASS into the text field under "Refresh
local database with remote reference database at:".
- Click "OK" to effect all preference changes.
- Back at the main window, select File/Publish now!. Confirm that a file called
KEYPASS.DAT is created in \\SERVER\KEYPASS.
- Install and run KeyPass on the machine USER. Initialize the
master database by entering any dummy password.
- Select File/Import
from/KeyPass Database File, browse to \\SERVER\KEYPASS
and select KEYPASS.DAT. After the import is done, KeyPass
will restart. Enter the read-only password created in Step 3 to
- The setup is now done. When the master database is updated on
the machine ADMIN, select File/Publish
now! to publish the changes. The database on machine USER will
update after about a minute, or you could select File/Synchronize now! to update